Create Strategic Business Plans for Departments
Are you facing:
- Reduced budgets and need to make tough decisions?
- An organization that doesn’t have a common focus or purpose?
- A lack of performance information to measure and manage how well your organization is performing?
- A need to restructure, but you’re not sure how to move forward and keep a focus on achievable results?
- Budget decisions based on politics alone with little regard for performance or priorities?
- Old habits – you’re stuck doing what has always been done, because it’s always been done that way, and with no way to make that work in today’s environment?
A Department Strategic Business Plan can be a powerful tool to help you bring clarity, align effort, and build trust. A Strategic Business Plan provides a powerful framework to set your organization’s sights on results for customers that are aligned to the jurisdiction’s goals. A Strategic Business Plan includes robust operational performance measures to help you measure progress and structure performance reports on how you’re doing to deliver those results. MR has worked with departments of all sizes and functions to build Strategic Business Plans that focus on the results that matter most to your customers – the people you serve.
Elements of a Strategic Business Plan include:
- Clear, concise one sentence Mission Statement
- Issue Statements of the most important long-term issues and trends facing your customers and your organization
- Strategic Goals or Results that establish measurable, time specific, customer-focused results written in terms of what customers will experience, e.g. % of building permits issued within x number of days
- Services that identify the key deliverables your customers receive from the department
- Programs that are built on groups of services organized around customers and results, that enable the department to measure and manage operational performance, with each Program having a Purpose Statement and a Family of Performance Measures®
- Lines of Business that are groups of Programs that define large sections of the organization
A performance-based budget can be structured around the Programs identified in the department’s Strategic Business Plan. Budget decisions will be made to support the department and jurisdiction Strategic Results. Employees can then be aligned to the results you need them to deliver.
Since 1998, MR has successfully developed Strategic Business Plans for more than 1,500 departments and offices. If government does it, chances are that MR has facilitated a Strategic Business Plan for it. MR’s experience can help you build a Strategic Business Plan for large and small departments and offices.
To find out more about how MR can help you create Strategic Business Plans for one or all of your departments, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 865-567-5192.
To find out more about how your organization’s’ performance as measured in your Strategic Business Plan can be tracked and reported using our web-based MFR Live™ software, click here.